Diarrhea is known as global killer, with 22% mortality rate, Specially in children. If you are a diarrhea patient then first question that comes to our mind is what to eat and what not. Here we are going to discuss “Is Banana good for Diarrhea?“
Bananas are one of the most popular fruits in the world. Unlike certain fruits, they are readily available in almost every region of the world. They also prove to have a lot of medical benefits, including the treatment of Diarrhea. Banana proves to be helpful for people suffering from Diarrhea.
You may also Read Where are Bananas grown in the world. Top Countries.
What is Diarrhea and its causes?
Diarrhea is a situation of the digestive or gastrointestinal system of the human body in which the digested food lacks stiffness due to low fiber and lack of water retention. In this situation, the stool produces watery. This watery stool, along with undigested food, eliminated essential minerals and vitamins from the body, causing the body to become dehydrated and weak. The extreme case of Diarrhea may be fatal as to continuously losing critical vitamins and minerals along with high water content.
The causes of Diarrhea are:
- Low fiber in diet
- Laxative abuse
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Food poisoning
- Eating foods that upset stomach
- Overactive thyroid
Benefits of Banana:
There are many health benefits of bananas. Some of them are:
- Source of vitamin-C
- Source of potassium
- Source of manganese
- Suitable for heart and blood pressure
- Gives energy but less cholesterol
- Help in water retention
- Source of vitamin B6
Does Banana help people suffering from Diarrhea?
Banana is one of the richest sources of potassium. It hence plays a vital role in Water Retention. Ingestion of Banana proves to be a source of potassium. The potassium then reacts with the nephron in the kidney. Here the potassium reacts with and compensates for the sodium content present and increases water absorption in the kidney.
Apart from organs, the potassium triggers sodium to absorb excess water from the digestive tracts i.e., the intestines. Hence it causes the stool to become less watery and a bit stiff.
As Banana contains many other minerals and vitamins, it proves to be very beneficial for recovering lost metals, which our body eliminates through excretion.
Hence, bananas are useful for people suffering from Diarrhea because:
- They help to stiff up the stool
- Increase water retention
- Compensate for lost minerals and vitamins
- Decrease stomach acidity in order to decrease chances of acid reflux
Banana Juice and Shakes for Diarrhea:
For the treatment of Diarrhea, we can use Banana in many ways. They can be used in the form of various juices and shakes. These juices and shakes can be combined with other useful ingredients for a valid result, as well as a better taste. These types of recipes are beneficial especially for kids. Kids suffering from Diarrhea can experience a fun way to get a positive output from bananas.
The following are the most common and easy to make recipes, including Banana, to treat Diarrhea.
- Banana Smoothie:
- Bananas are a rich source of prebiotics that are suitable for the friendly bacteria present in the stomach. As the function of helpful bacteria increases, it automatically helps in digestion and comforts Diarrhea.
- this recipe the ingredients are:
- 1 cup water
- 2 bananas
- One tablespoon of honey
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Vanilla powder to taste (optional)
- Cinnamon powder to taste (optional)
Just put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Chill and serve.
2.Yogurt banana shake:
- Another active ingredient is yogurt, for the treatment of Diarrhea. As we should not consume milk-based products while having ha ould Diarrhea hence yogurt is most beneficial in that case.
- this recipe the ingredients are:
- Half cup yogurt (Greek yogurt)
- 1 medium banana
- Half cup water
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon of honey or sugar
- Vanilla powder to taste ( optional)
Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Chill and serve.
3. Banana pineapple Juice:
Banana and pineapples are very helpful in stomach heat and diarrhea.
- Pure banana juice can also relieve stomach disorders. The recipe for banana juice is:
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium banana
- Half cup pineapple or pineapple juice
Blend all the ingredients in a blender and served chilled.
Banana Bread for Diarrhea:
The cause diarrhea is due to lack of sufficient fibers present in the intestinal tract. And the texture is most commonly obtained from whole wheat bread. So the most proper method of using bananas is by making Banana bread which gives the following benefits to a patient suffering from Diarrhea:
- The flour used to make bread provides fiber
- Bananas are a source of vitamins and minerals, such as potassium and magnesium. Hence they compensate for the loss of minerals.
- Promote water retention and facilitate digestion.
- It has a great and fun flavor.
The recipe to make to most standard Banana Bread is:
- 2-3 ripe bananas – peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- One teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- One large egg- beaten
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
The method to prepare this bread is:
- Preheat the oven to 175C or 350F
- Butter and line a loaf pan with butter paper or parchment paper
- Stir melted butter into mashed bananas in a bowl
- Add baking soda, salt, sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract in the bowl.
- Mix in the flour. Be careful not to over mix the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 350F or 175C. Or until a tester comes out clean from the center.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When cooled, remove from pan and cut into slices and serve.
The BRAT diet:
The best diet during Diarrhea is a BRAT diet, which stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and toast. They are starchy low fiber foods with less fat and prove to be beneficial for Diarrhea.
Although these recipes using bananas as a key ingredient may show relief in the condition of Diarrhea, it is not a permanent treatment. Moreover, severe cases of Diarrhea require a different approach for surgery as home remedies cannot merely handle it. Severe cases require proper medications and treatment. However using bananas frequently, prove to be beneficial in order to compensate the lost minerals and vitamins which are eliminated. It can cause slight comfort.
In severe cases of Diarrhea it is best to consult a medical specialist and use proper methods of treatment. A person should avoid the following food items if he suffers from Diarrhea:
- Milk and dairy products
- Fried foods
- Spicy foods
- Raw vegetables
- Processed foods
Banana and Apple are few best and highly consumed fruits in the wold. Here you may read Apple for Diarrhea
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Banana good for Diarrhea?
Ans: Yes, Banana proves to be helpful for people suffering from Diarrhea. It can be used raw or in the form of read, juices or even shakes.
Can you treat Diarrhea by only eating bananas?
Ans: Although these recipes using bananas as a key ingredient may show relief in the condition of Diarrhea, it is not a permanent treatment. They only give a slight diversion from the situation.
What is a BRAT diet?
Ans: The best diet during Diarrhea is a BRAT diet, which stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and toast. They are starchy low fiber foods with less fat and prove to be beneficial for Diarrhea.